The Honan Chapel - Gallery Collection


Image TitleHonan Chapel: Mc Mullen´s ground plan
DescriptionThis photograph was published in Sir John Robert O´Connell´s guidebook to the chapel entitled The Honan Hostel Chapel Cork: Some Notes on the Building and the Ideas which Inspired It (Guy & Co., Cork, 1916). James F. McMullen had a high profile in the city. He had been High Sheriff for the City of Cork in 1907-08. He was awarded a papal knighthood in 1910. Significant works by McMullen in Cork city include: Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital, Western Rd. (1897); conservation of the Firkin Crane, built in 1855, Shandon (1900); St. Finbarr’s West Total Abstinence Club, Bandon Rd. (1900), formerly “Lough Rovers” now the “Spires” apartment complex; Crawford Municipal Technical Institute in Emmet Place and Union Quay (1905) and remodelling Holy Trinity Church, Fr. Mathew Quay (1906-08). Due to his involvement in the Honan Chapel project McMullen was invited to bid for the proposed new entrance to College from Donovan’s Bridge in 1917 following the collapse of the old bridge during the winter floods of 1916-17. Following the Honan Chapel project McMullen & Sisk collaborated on the remodelling of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Lough Rd. (1922; 27) and the building of the chapel of the Bons Secours Convent, Western Rd. (1925). Work on the heating system in the Honan chapel was carried out by Musgrave of Belfast.
ContributorJames F. McMullen & John O´Connell
Contribution Year1916
  
PhotographerGuy & Co. Photographic Studio, St. Patrick´s St., Cork
CopyrightCollege Archives, University College Cork
Date of Photograph2006
CollectionInterior