The Honan Chapel - Gallery Collection


Image TitleHonan Chapel: crest of the Warden of the Honan Hostel
DescriptionIn 1916 the Honan Chapel was variously described as the Honan Hostel Chapel and the Collegiate Church (or Chapel) of St. Finn Barr. The Honan Hostel was an incorporated charity founded under royal charter on 5th January 1915 and the Honan Chapel was part of this. The board of governors was made up of bishops, members of University College Cork staff and representatives of the Catholic laity in Munster were all represented, with Rev. Sir John Robert O’Connell as a life member of the board and the bishop of Cork as the ‘visitor’. The governors of the Honan Hostel evolved into the Honan Trust with the closure of the hostel in 1991. The hostel seal was granted by the Ulster King-at-Arms. The coat-of-arms consists of a shield representing St. Finbarr standing at the west front of the chapel. The upper portion includes elements of the arms of the university (the three crowns of Munster and the lions). The motto translates from Irish as "For the glory of God and the honour of Ireland". The Honan endowments have been comprehensively examined by Virginia Teehan & Elizabeth Wincott Heckett in The Honan Chapel: A Golden Vision published by Cork University Press in 2004.
ContributorSir John O’Connell and Sir Bertram Windle
Contribution Year1916
  
PhotographerJames Cronin
CopyrightJames Cronin and the Honan Trust
Date of Photograph2006
CollectionExterior