The Honan Chapel - Gallery Collection


Image TitleHonan Chapel: view of east face
DescriptionSir John O´Connell wanted the Honan Chapel to be built in an Hiberno-Romanesque style. He directed James McMullen to seek inspiration from the 12th century ruins in Co.Tipperary. The foundation stone was set in place on 18th May 1915. McMullen is credited as the architect. However, the design of the Chapel, but firmly under the direction of O´Connell. McMullen distilled the principles of the Hiberno-Romanesque style for the chapel: rectangular nave with smaller rectangular chancel at the east end; semi-circular chancel arch; recessed orders in the principal or west doorway; carvings of the capitals; single window in the chancel; three light window in the west end. The chancel is 26ft long and 18ft wide. The bell-tower resembles St. Kevin´s Kitchen in Glendalough, Co.Wicklow. In 1916, the bell rang out the Angelus twice daily at noon and at six in the evening.
ContributorSir John O´Connell; Sir Bertrim Windle; James McMullen; John Sisk & Son, Cork
Contribution Year1916
  
PhotographerJames Cronin
CopyrightJames Cronin and the Honan Trust
Date of Photograph2006
CollectionExterior