The Honan Chapel - Gallery Collection


Image TitleHonan Chapel: general view
DescriptionThe Honan Chapel occupies a special place in the spiritual life of the college community since its consecration in November 1916. Although the chapel is dedicated to Cork´s patron St. Finbarr its name commemorates the chapel´s benefactors, wealthy Cork merchants, the Honan family. The chapel is dedicated to the memory of Matthew, Robert and Isabella Honan. When Isabella Honan, died in 1913 the executor of her will, Sir John O´Connell, allocated £40,000 of the Honan estate to Queen´s College now University College, Cork. Under the foundation charter of Queen´s College Cork (1845) the college is non-denominational. As it had no place of worship, some of the money from the Honan estate was used to build a chapel to serve Roman Catholic students. Despite the decline in church attendance in Ireland, the Honan Chapel is still popular for weddings. Former students of the university and members of staff are permitted to marry in the chapel.
ContributorSir John O´Connell; Sir Bertrim Windle; James McMullen; John Sisk & Son, Cork
Contribution Year1916
  
PhotographerRory Long
CopyrightHonan Trust
Date of Photograph2003
CollectionExterior