The Honan Chapel - Gallery Collection


Image TitleHonan Collection: detail of St. John from dossal
DescriptionStandards were greatly improved by the work of the Dun Emer Guild, founded in 1902 by Lily and Elizabeth Yeats and their English friend Evelyn Gleeson. The Guild was an important centre of Irish embroidery, printing, and bookbinding. Though the partnership between the Yeats’ sisters and Gleeson was brief, Dun Emer trained young women in many artistic skills, supplied churches with vestments and banners and contributed to the annual exhibitions. This detail is from the original dossal. This hung behind the high altar and depicted the four Evangelist symbols in St. Matthew´s Gospel from the Book of Kells (Trinity College, Dublin) folio 27 verso. This item has been catalogued by Virginia Teehan & Elizabeth Wincott Heckett in The Honan Chapel: A Golden Vision published by Cork University Press in 2004. The vestments are in storage and are in need of conservation.
ContributorDun Emer Guild, Hardwicke St., Dublin
Contribution Year1916
  
PhotographerJames Cronin
CopyrightJames Cronin and the Honan Trust
Date of Photograph1996
CollectionChapel Collection