The Honan Chapel - Gallery Collection


Image TitleHonan Chapel: detail of bell tower
DescriptionThe Honan chapel incorporates a round tower on the north face of the chapel at the junction between the nave and chancel. The foundations of the tower and chapel are not continuous. This detail is a citation of the medieval past. This search for a cultural identity in architecture had already been pursued by the Church of Ireland during the 1860s. A fine example of this is St.Patrick´s Church of Ireland, Jordanstown, Co. Antrim. Its design owes much to the work of the antiquarian General James Smythe who made a study of St.Finnian´s Church at Clonmacnoise. This twelfth century church incorporates a round bell tower at the southern junction of the nave and chancel. The foundations of the church and the tower are continuous. Prof. Alistair Rowan has commented on the similarity between the incorporation of the bell tower in the Honan Chapel and the slender bell towers in the two mortuary chapels (1868) in St.Finbarr´s Cemetery, Cork, where the Honan family are buried.
ContributorSir John O´Connell; Sir Bertrim Windle; James McMullen; John Sisk & Son, Cork
Contribution Year1916
  
PhotographerRory Long
CopyrightHonan Trust
Date of Photograph2003
CollectionExterior